Manage duplicate hardware identifiers
Providing a list of hardware identifiers that Configuration Manager ignores for the purpose of PXE boot and client registration, helps to address two common issues.
- Many new devices, like the Surface Pro 3, do not include an onboard Ethernet port. Technicians use a USB-to-Ethernet adapter to establish a wired connection for purposes of operating system deployment. However, these adapters are often shared due to cost and general usability. Because the MAC address of this adapter is used to identify the device, reusing the adapter becomes problematic without additional administrator actions between each deployment. To reuse the adapter in this scenario, exclude its MAC address.
- While the SMBIOS attribute should be unique, some specialty hardware devices have duplicate identifiers. Exclude this duplicate identifier and rely on the unique MAC address of each device.
To add hardware identifiers for Configuration Manager to ignore
- In the Configuration Manager console, go to Administration > Overview > Site Configuration > Sites.
- On the Home tab, in the Sites group, choose Hierarchy Settings.
- On the Client Approval and Conflicting Records tab, choose Add in the Duplicate hardware identifiers section to add new hardware identifiers.